I am in love with the new curtains I just made for my breakfast area and living room...and I am even more in love with how much I spent on them.
I have blogged in the past about using sheets and other textiles instead of always buying off of the bolts from fabric stores to make things around your home. In most cases it is cheaper and you can expand your choices of patterns and textures to choose from. These curtains were made from Dwell TABLECLOTHS that I found at Target.
Each tablecloth cost me $20 and I only needed 1 per window. So I ended up spending $80 for these custom made, beautiful curtains. I just cut the tablecloth straight down the middle and then hemmed the raw edges. I did not even need to hem the bottoms-I love the puddled look.
Something I learned through the process of making these curtains is that sheets and light cotton materials are great for roman shades, quilts, etc. but for drapes and long panels a heavier material looks much better. This tablecloth fabric was perfect, it was heavy and had just the right weight to make full, beautiful drapery.
I finally began work on the roman shades in my dining room that I have been putting off as well. This fabric was made from a sheet set I found at Marshall's. Because roman shades need lining on the back the lighter cotton material worked great for this project.