Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Riley's Room

Riley is jumping on the redecorating train and since I am already doing Cruz's room I might as well fit her room in too.
It's been a while since she had an update and she has never had much of a theme. She has requested a butterfly room this time around.
I am not the type to go out and just buy butterflies, that would be too easy. I am going to try to make most of the details by hand and also repurpose things to keep the budget within reason.
I am using this Pottery Barn room as inspiration.


I had a hard time finding bird cages and the ones I did find cost a small fortune. I had to think outside of the box for this one. The first "bird cage" was actually a lantern I bought at a discount. I removed the glass panels, glued in craft sticks to create bars, and then painted it a pale pink.

This cage was a decorative cover for a tissue box that I found at Goodwill for $2 and it was UGLY...until I worked some magic on it.
I wish I would have thought to take a before picture so you could really appreciate the difference.
I sprayed painted it and used an old hardware piece for a handle.

I was rather pleased with the results.

In the end I was able to repurpose several items and ended up with some really cute bird cages to hang.



I thought I would incorporate butterflies by randomly attaching them to the cages.




Thanks to the Cricut I don't need to hand-cut each one!


I found this mushroom on clearance at Lowe's and decided to spray paint it and use it as decoration as well.



Other items I am using for inspiration...
<>




3 comments:

  1. that bird cage idea is fabulous...ur a genius...they look wonderful...im gonna add them to my DIY inspiration files as well =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! I love to think of ways to repurpose and create-and if I can save a few dollars along the way that's even better :)
    Thanks for stopping by-love your blog!

    ReplyDelete